Friday, September 11, 2009

PUBLIC OPTION NOW!



Wednesday night I watched the President Obama address a joint session of Congress to discuss his ideal healthcare reform bill. I watched with embarrassment while someone on the other side of the political spectrum called him a liar, and reminisced about the old days when no one called out President Bush for being a colossal liar that got 5,000 brave men and women killed in an unnecessary military venture. Ahhh, them were the days, but I digress.

See, I watched because I’m invested in this healthcare thing. It means something to me and it should mean something to you too.

There are three main facets to the Obama plan. Consumer protection , a marketplace exchange and requirement for everyone to carry health insurance like some states require every driver to carry auto insurance.

Do I like the idea of being mandated to carry health insurance? No. I’ve always been the kind of girl who when you tell me I have to do something, that’s the last thing I want to so. It’s not a non-confirmist thing, it’s being compelled that usually bothers me. But in this case things are different. See, I WANT health coverage. I need it. Not like the people in the video below - thank god – I’m lucky enough that despite being a self-proclaimed beefy lady, I’m actually in pretty good health. For this I am thankful.



But all that could change if you’re one of the uninsured and you don’t need a duly elected president to remind you that you’re only one accident or illness away from bankruptcy. Ask my friend from Upstate NY, a Lymes disease patient, who chooses between meds and rent. Ask my friend from Central Jersey, a single mother of two with a family history of heart problems – she’s in collections for an $800 EKG. You think she needs the stress of bill collectors calling for a routine preventative procedure or test? Yeah, that’s great for her heart but in reality it's only a drop in the ocean.

These are just two examples of people what I know who are falling down this rabbit hole. I’m sure I know more if I dig further. I’m sure you know someone who isn’t a deadbeat but has to face this medical insurance madness every day.

One of the great ironies of the health care crisis for me personally has been the rhetoric or “debate.” As someone with a degree in political science, I’ve always had an appreciation (even if sometimes disdain) for the political process and now – at one of the most important times for millions upon millions of uninsured Americans – the dialogue has been hijacked by our own extremists who would rather rip this debate to shreds than find the common ground we need to forge meaningful change. It makes me sick, pun unintended.

If you take the president at his word, he won’t sign any program that will add a dime to the deficit – and let’s face it, it’s not like the previous administration ever cared about that. If it was up to them, they would’ve privatized social security and fed it to the stock market. Yeah, that woulda been cute. I digress.

Personally, I’m in favor of adding the public option to the insurance “exchange” that is being discussed. I just don’t believe that the collective bargaining power of the uninsured will be strong enough to achieve affordable plans without the public option. It will foster competition for insurance companies which will help the individual consumer within that market place. Also, if I’m paying into the system, I’d rather not have that system spend money on advertising and crap that has the company logo on it for giveaways. I don’t need all that garbage, I’d rather have the money go to good doctors who can help keep me healthy.

I also believe that affordable coverage for the individual consumer would spur entrepreneurialism – people just might feel more comfortable starting their own business or going to work for a small business (an independent spirit our country was founded in). Think about it. Americans would be able to pursue their true talents as opposed to finding some corporate machine job that they are interested in based on access to benefits alone. There’s nothing wrong with that if that’s what you want, but if you’re me, having the option to do something different (and still feel safe and secure about it) is a good thing.

That’s why I support the public option and emailed my three representatives in Congress and the White House urging them to stand fast on this piece of the healthcare reform puzzle. I urge you to think about this rationally and make a little bit of constructive noise. I urge you to email your representatives. They need to know where you stand on this (even if it’s not with me). If you’re not sure who your Congressional representatives are click here for House and click here for the Senate. I can see how the House might be confusing, but you really should know who your Senators are.. and they’re the ones that need to hear from you the most.

After the President’s speech I turned on Comedy Central. I’d like to say that I needed something lighthearted to concentrate on after that very emotional and stirring address, but it’s actually just what’s usually on in my room.

Chris Rock’s 1999 comedy special Bigger and Blacker was on, and at one point he said, ”you better have some medical insurance or you gonna die.” It’s not funny, precisely because it’s true. I’ve been saying something sadly like it for years. People without health insurance go bankrupt or just die.

Seriously. Doing nothing or falling back on half-assed reforms will cost more in both money and lives than you can even imagine. And there is no amount of Robitussin that Chris Rock’s dad can pour on this one to fix things.



If you’d like to read more about comprehensive health reform, click here. I have no intention of finding the lame GOP-friendly sites who would like nothing better than to torpedo reform and maintain the status quo. Frankly, because they’ve sucked up enough of our attention.

It’s simple mantra that I’d like for you to repeat: A healthy America is a strong America.

Did you hear that? A healthy America is a strong America.

Seems like it would make sense, doesn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be respectful.